Possible squad for 2010/11 update
Below is an update following the confirmation of new deals for Patrick Vieira and Jerome Boateng.
The club are clearly hoping to sign Yaya Toure, which would surely complete the central midfield roles. Either Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Edzin Dzeko appear to be first choice for a striking vacancy. We have been linked with others but it’s difficult to see how they would fit in.
Full-back remains the biggest mystery. It’s not clear where Boateng’s first choice position will be. At left-back we’ve been linked Aleksandar Kolarov, though Real Madrid and Inter Milan are favourites to sign the Serbian.
If Boateng is considered a new right-back, then it would leave room for either Nedum Onuoha or Micah Richards to stay.
Whichever one of David Silva or Angel Di Maria doesn’t sign for Real Madrid could be our first choice as a new winger. Whether we get them is another matter.
If we succeed in signing James Milner, then it’s difficult to see where another playmaker would fit into the squad unless Stephen Ireland was to leave.
As I said last time, City could face over 60 games next season if they go far in the Europa League. 30 something games should be the optimum for any player so it’s not simply about having a good first choice eleven. They’re rarely all fit and available at any given time.
- Joe Hart (home grown).
- Shay Given (home grown).
- Stuart Taylor (home grown). Gunnar Nielsen could be an alternative.
- Pablo Zabaleta (also midfield, left-back).
- Wayne Bridge (home grown).
- New left back – David Luiz (also central defence), Aleksandar Kolarov.
- New right back – Leonardo Bonucci. This position may be occupied by Boateng, Nedum Onuoha or Micah Richards.
- Vincent Kompany (also midfield).
- Joleon Lescott (home grown).
- Jerome Boateng (also right-back).
- Kolo Toure.
- Gareth Barry (home grown).
- Nigel de Jong.
- Patrick Vieira.
- Michael Johnson (home grown).
- New midfielder – Yaya Toure, Javi MartÃnez, Fernando Gago, Mathieu Flamini, Lassana Diarra.
- Stephen Ireland (home grown).
- New creative midfielder – James Milner (home grown, also winger), Steven Gerrard (home grown), Marek Hamsek, Mesut Ozil, Yoann Gourcuff.
- Adam Johnson (home grown).
- Craig Bellamy (home grown).
- Shaun Wright-Phillips (home grown).
- New winger – David Silva, Angel Di Maria.
- Emmanuel Adebayor.
- Carlos Tevez.
- New striker to replace Santa Cruz – Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Edzin Dzeko, Mario Balotelli (also winger).
Additional U-21 players:
- Vladimir Weiss (possible loanee).
- Dedryck Boyata (possible loanee).
- Alex Nimely.
- David Ball.
- Abdisalam Ibrahim.
- Gregory Cunningham.
- Andrew Tutte.
- Ryan McGivern (possible loanee).
- Alex Henshall.
- Karl Moore.
- Martin Petrov.
Other resulting departures:
- Gunnar Nielsen or Stuart Taylor.
- David Gonzalez.
- Kelvin Etuhu (home grown).
- Micah Richards (home grown).
- Nedum Onuoha (home grown, also right-back).
- Javier Garrido.
- Roque Santa Cruz.
- Javan Vidal (home grown).
- Felipe Caicedo.
- Valeri Bojinov.
- Shaleum Logan (home grown).
- Who would be in your 25 senior players?